Assuming you are up to Day Skipper level of Competence and have all the required mileage under sail and in tidal waters then you can join our 5 Week RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Upgrade Course
The RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Exam thoroughly tests the Skipper’s ability and can therefore appear daunting to potential candidates, but well-prepared Skippers with the Proper Experience and Training need not worry. With practice and preparation, you should be able to relax sufficiently to let your skills shine through any Exam nerves.
The content of the RYA Day Skipper Theory & Practical Weeks are Vital as these are the foundation of your training and are needed to ensure that your Boat handling (including picking up a mooring and man over board) and Theoretical knowledge (including Chartwork, COLREGS and Meteorology) are up to standard in order to continue to an RYA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore Standard.
We need to be sure that you are ready to start at RYA Coastal/Offshore Theory and that you know how to work out CTS and Depth and Dr/EP. If you feel you’re not ready to start at RYA Coastal Level, we recommend that you start with RYA Day Skipper Theory.
Pre-Exam Requirements for RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Sail Exam:
• 50 Days Sea Time.
• 5 Days as Skipper.
• 2500 Nautical Miles – Half of which must be in Tidal Waters under sail.
• 5 Passages over 60nm, including 2 Overnight and 2 as the Skipper.
• NB: (You need to already have 1 x 60nm passage as Skipper Before joining the Upgrade – or if you don’t already have a 60-mile passage as skipper, then you can join another Coastal Practical or Mileage trip).
• A Copy of First Aid Certificate
• A Copy of your RYA SRC VHF Radio Certificate
• A Copy of your RYA Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore Theory Course Completion Certificate
• Logbook to Show Mileage to Examiner
• 6 Passport Size Colour Photos
• Credit Card Details for your RYA fees for your RYA Certificates.
For your Mileage to be Accepted by the RYA:
– Your mileage needs to be from within the last 10 years which must be logged and signed off by the Skipper.
– Your mileage needs to be gained Under Sail on a Sailing Yacht and you also need tidal miles (ie not all gained in the Med)
– The Sailing yacht needs to be less than 24m / 79ft or 200gt
RYA Commercial Endorsement
Should you want your RYA Certificate of Competence endorsed for work on Commercial Vessels you are required to have the following:
The full STCW Courses:
The ENG 1 Medical Examination
RYA Online PPR (Personal Practices and Social Responsibility) test – we can assist you with this
• 1 Week RYA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore Theory – 7 days in our classroom at Royal Cape Yacht Club
• 1 Week RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Navigational Practical with Exam Skills Development – 6 days on board (meals and accommodation included)
• Exam Preparation & RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Exam.
Please contact our office:
Landline: +27 21 788 1009
Mobile: +27 82 088 7186 (WhatsApp welcome – please include name)
Use of RYA Reference Books and navigation equipment
During the practical live-aboard weeks on the yachts, your transport to and from Saldanha Bay and back to Cape Town, meals and accommodation are included.
On shore accommodation, food and transport is not included during off days and shore-based courses.
Should you need additional weeks training it is R9 500 per week on top of the 4 Week Upgrade.
RYA fees below are paid Directly to the RYA in the UK via Credit Card.
• £ 200 GBP – RYA Fees for Yachtmaster Offshore Examination
• £ 60 GBP – RYA Fees for SRC Radio Certificate
• £ 34.50 GBP – RYA Fees for Commercial Endorsement