Prepare yourself for the adventure,hard work and financial freedom of an deckhand
To start from the beginning, no experience required.
This program consists of the following courses:
- RYA Competent Crew Practical – 5 days on board – basic skills
- RYA SRC VHF Radio – 1 day shore based training in our classroom
- RYA Day Skipper Theory – 6 days shore based training in our classroom
- RYA Day Skipper Practical – 5 days on board – Day Skipper Skills – this will allow you 20 nautical miles from a safe port, in good weather, during the day only.
- RYA Deckhand – see below
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 – 2 days on board
- STCW – 11 days – 11 days shore based courses which includes, Fire Fighting, Elementary First Aid, PST and life raft skills, PSSR, Designated Security Duties.
The Deckhand course will provide you with the following:
– Intro to the industry including how to prepare your CV, where and how to find work.
– Deck maintenance skills: filing and fairing, varnishing, teak-oiling, priming, deck acid and washdowns
– General deck hand duties: anchoring, water sports, watch keeping, line handling and safety drills
Please contact our office:
Landline: +27 21 788 1009
Mobile: +27 82 088 7186 – WhatsApp welcome (please include your name)
Accommodation and meals on all practical courses
Transport to Saldanha and back from Royal Cape Yacht Club
All necessary tools and equipment (on loan)
Meals and accommodation during shore based courses and time off.