The RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate is required BEFORE you can take your RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Exam.
This is a course in astro-navigation, worldwide meteorology and ocean currents, which also reveals the mysteries of the sextant. It assumes a knowledge of all subjects covered in all the other shore-based courses ie RYA Day Skipper AND RYA Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore Theory) and is usually run after you have qualified for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore.
Duration: 5 days theory in our classroom at Royal Cape Yacht Club, Cape Town and 2 days on board for Ocean Sights
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory Course includes:
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- The PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Measurement of time
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun, star and other sights
- Compass checking
- Satellite Navigation Systems
- Great circle sailing
- Ocean currents
- Passage planning
- Passage making
Ocean Practical Sights
After completing your Ocean Theory Course, we take you to sea for 48 hours.
During this time, you will take the sights required to undertake your Ocean exam. On completion, we then book your slot with a RYA Ocean Examiner.
Duration: 2 days – meals and accommodation included.
This course is Instructed by an RYA Yachtmaster Instructor.
Upon successful completion of your RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory and practical ocean sights, you will take your final examination – RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Oral.
Included in the Course fees are:
- Course material
The use of books, tools and equipment necessary for training:
- RYA Training Almanac (Southern Hemisphere)
- South African List of Lights and Radio Signals
- Symbols and Abbreviations used on South African Charts
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREGs)
We will also provide you with the following which you will be able to keep:
- Personal Logbook
- Yachtmaster Sailing School pen and pencil
- 72-page blank quad exercise book
- Blank almanac pages for theory.
You will have full use of RYA Reference Books and navigation equipment.
- Accommodation and meals for shore-based courses, time off and any time in Cape Town apart from when on board for a practical course.
Students are required to bring the following on their first day with Yachtmaster Ocean Sailing School:
- R1,500.00 CASH deposit /security for any loss or damage to yachts, equipment etc. At the end of your training, if no loss or damage has been noted, the deposit will be returned to you in cash.
- R100 CASH deposit for a temporary access card to Royal Cape Yacht Club. Students are requested to make their way directly to the reception on their first day and pay the deposit and receive the card. At the end of your training, please return the card to Reception where the deposit will be returned to you.
- Colour passport photographs for the following certificates: SRC Radio, RYA Day Skipper Practical, RYA Coastal Skipper Practical, Prep & Exam (x2), Commercial Endorsement Application, RYA Powerboat level 2.
- A sleeping bag for practical courses, alternatively this can be ordered and purchased from Yachtmaster and will be ready for you on your arrival. Costs R500.
- Foul weather clothing, for practical on-board courses, alternatively this can be ordered and purchased from Yachtmaster and will be ready for you on your arrival. (10% discount offered only to our booked students).
On shore accommodation recommendations:
- Sunflower Stop Backpackers
- Never@Home Backpackers
- Atlantic Point Backpackers
Mobile: +27 82 088 7186 (WhatsApp’s welcome) – please include name, surname and email address in message
Use of a Sextant during the Ocean Sights