The RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate is required BEFORE you can take your RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Exam.
This is a course in astro-navigation, worldwide meteorology and ocean currents, which also reveals the mysteries of the sextant. It assumes a knowledge of all subjects covered in all the other shore-based courses ie RYA Day Skipper AND RYA Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore Theory) and is usually run after you have qualified for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore.
Duration: 5 days theory in our classroom at Royal Cape Yacht Club, Cape Town and 2 days on board for Ocean Sights
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory Course includes:
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- The PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Measurement of time
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun, star and other sights
- Compass checking
- Satellite Navigation Systems
- Great circle sailing
- Ocean currents
- Passage planning
- Passage making
Ocean Practical Sights
After completing your Ocean Theory Course, we take you to sea for 48 hours.
During this time, you will take the sights required to undertake your Ocean exam. On completion, we then book your slot with a RYA Ocean Examiner.
Duration: 2 days – meals and accommodation included.
This course is Instructed by an RYA Yachtmaster Instructor.
Upon successful completion of your RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Theory and practical ocean sights, you will take your final examination – RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Oral.
- Training material ie Students (except RYA Competent Crew Practical) are provided with a (returnable) handheld suitcase with all the necessary items needed while are with us, all in English (all returnable) as follows:
- RYA Training Almanac (Southern Hemisphere),
- South African List of Lights and Radio Signals,
- Symbols and Abbreviations used on South African Charts,
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREGs),
- Portland Plotter,
We will also provide you with the following which you may keep:
- 72-page blank quad exercise book.
- Each individual Course’s material
Plus, the use of our reference library and navigation equipment
- Accommodation and meals for shore-based courses, time off and any time in Cape Town apart from when on board for a practical course.
- R100 (deposit) required for temporary membership. Royal Cape Yacht Club will issue you with a temporary access card for your time with us and ask for a deposit of R100. This will be returned to you once the card is returned to Royal Cape Yacht Club on your last day.
On shore accommodation recommendations:
- Sunflower Stop Backpackers
- Never@Home Backpackers
- Atlantic Point Backpackers
Use of a Sextant during the Ocean Sights
Mobile: +27 82 088 7186 (WhatsApp’s welcome) – please include name, surname and email address in message
HOW TO CREATE A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN YACHTING AND TRAVEL THE WORLD
Step into a life filled with greater expansion, opportunity and adventure.