No previous sailing experience is required.
SEA TERMS AND PARTS OF A BOAT, HER RIGGING AND SAILS
• Gain sufficient knowledge to understand orders given concerning the sailing and day-to-day running of a vessel.
• Learn how to bend on, set, reef and handle sails.
• Become familiar with the use of sheets, halyards and their associated winches.
LINE HANDLING AND KNOTS
• Learn how to handle lines, including coiling, stowing, securing to cleats and single and double bollards.
• Learn how to handle warps for mooring and anchoring.
• Gain the ability to tie the following knots and understand their correct use.
2. Rolling hitch
3. Clove hitch
5. Round turn and two half hitches
6. Single and double sheet bend
7. Reef knot
SAFETY ON BOARD
• Gain understanding regarding the hazard of fire and the precautions necessary to take for prevention of fire.
• Gain knowledge of the action to be taken in event of fire.
• Learn about alarms for LPG gas and carbon monoxide.
PERSONAL SAFETY EQUIPMENT
• Learn to understand and comply with the rules for the wearing of safety harnesses, life jackets and personal buoyancy aids.
• Learn to understand personal protective gear (PPG).
• Gain understanding the action to be taken to recover a man overboard on a sailing vessel.
• Learn how cold-water shock can affect a person in the water.
• Learn to operate distress flares.
• Learn to activate an EPIRB.
• Gain understanding on how to launch and board a life raft.
MANNERS AND CUSTOMS
• Learn the accepted practice with regards to:
1. use of burgees and ensigns (flags)
2. prevention of unnecessary noise or disturbance in harbour including courtesies to other berthed craft.
• Become aware of the responsibility of yacht skippers and crew to protect the environment.
INTERNATIONAL REGULATIONS FOR THE PREVENTION OF COLLISION AT SEA
• Learn to keep an efficient lookout at sea.
• Become familiar with the basic rules.
TENDER OR DINGHIES USAGE
• Learn how to comply with the loading rules.
• Learn the importance of a kill cord.
• Gain knowledge of safety equipment for tenders and dinghies.
• Learn to handle a dinghy under oars.
• Gain awareness of forecasting services and where to obtain a weather forecast.
• Gain knowledge of the Beaufort scale.
HELMSMANSHIP AND SAILING ABILITY
• Learn to understand the basic principles of how sails work.
• Learn to steer and trim sails on all points of sailing.
• Learn to steer a compass course, under sail and power.
• Learn to carry out general duties satisfactorily on deck and below decks in connection with the daily routine of the vessel.
Food for the duration of the course
Use of Foul Weather Gear and Boots
RYA Competent Crew Certificate
RYA personal log book
During this 5 day live on board comprehensive introductory course, you are introduced to the wonderful world of sailing!
We aim to build a solid foundation in the correct procedures ensuring you to become a competent and valued crew member.
Upon booking we provide you with a program, what to bring, directions and Pre-course notes prior to the start of the course
Get exposed to latest sailing terminology and learn many different approaches and techniques.
This course is your first step towards the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence.
Our price for this course includes meals and accommodation from the Monday morning until the Friday afternoon.
UPCOMING COURSE DATES:
28 January – 1 February
25 February – 1 March
For more information please fill out our Enquiry Form or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Send us a message via WhatsApp with your name and enquiry on +27 82 088 7186 or call us on our landline +27 82 088 7186.
You are welcome to like and follow us on Facebook
- Yacht charters during which you would like to be part of the crew
- Boat Owners
- Those seeking to discover the beautiful experience of knowing how to sail
- Crew members who would like to make valuable contribution
- Candidates seeking employment in the international yachting or super-yachting industry
- Anyone looking for a adventure during a visit to Cape Town
A Course for taking the complete novice to becoming a useful crew member on board a small sailing yacht .