A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures.
If you own a marine radio hand held or fixed set, you are required by law to hold an operator’s license.
This course teaches you the basics of operating and understanding a DSC/VHF radio on board a vessel.
Presented in our Classroom based at the Royal Cape Yacht Club in Cape Town.
We use modified VHF Radio’s produced by ICOM and SIMRAD. These sets have been modified so that transmissions are suppressed.
On completion of the course and assessment you receive a RYA/MCA short range operators certificate.
For more information, dates and pricing on this course please fill out our Enquiry Form.
Send us a message or like and follow us on Facebook
• Boat Owners
• Crew members wishing to operate the VHF radio on board
• Candidates seeking employment in the international yachting or super-yachting industry
No prior experience with VHF radios are required.
We give you a book to study prior to you attending the course.
Upcoming course dates:
19 January 2019
26 January 2019
16 February 2019
23 March 2019
6 April 2019
20 April 2019
How Radio works
- Learning about radio waves
- How to operating a marine VHF radio
Radio rules and regulations
- Understand the legal use of a VHF radio
- Learn the required voice procedures
VHF channels and channel allocations
- The Different VHF Marine Channels
- What channels are allocated to a specific purpose
- Definition of distress
- How to send a distress message using DSC
- How to send distress message by voice
- Definition of urgency
- How to send urgency by voice
- How to send urgency by DSC
- Learn How to call by voice
- Learn how to call using DSC
- Learn about the GMDSS and what it is
- Learn what is included in the GMDSS
- Learn the phonetic alphabet
Course completion certificate
Use of simulator set
RYA SRC Assessment
Temporary membership at the Royal Cape Yacht club
Meals and accommodation in Cape Town( upon booking this course our admin will send you recommended accommodation and transport arrangements)
£60 RYA fees (needs to be paid directly to RYA prior to the course - via their website - a link will be provided.
A requirement should you own or wish to operate a marine V.H.F radio