The RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Skipper Practical is perfect for those looking for a course that will equip them with the skills and qualifications needed to safely and effectively skipper a sailing vessel on more than just day trips. Also suited to those seeking to follow a career in the Yachting or Super Yachting industry.
- Bareboat Charters
- Boat Owners
- Candidates seeking employment on Super Yachts
- Is a step in the ladder to the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a RYA / MCA Yachtmaster Coastal course completion certificate
Put your theoretical knowledge from the Coastal/ Offshore Theory certification into practice as you take to the seas and improve your skills. While living aboard the yacht, you’ll get a chance to practice your seamanship, boat handling, heavy weather tactics, night sailing, coastal navigation and leadership/skippering skills. These weeks are also there for you to obtain your 60-mile skippered passages required for the RYA Offshore Practical exam.
Upcoming course dates:
21-26 January 2019
18-23 February 2019
18-23 March 2019
25-30 March 2019
22-27 April 2019
Please book early to prevent disappointment.
300 Nautical Miles (For holders of RYA Day Skipper), 600 Nautical Miles for others.
This course assumes knowledge of the RYA Day Skipper Practical and RYA Yachtmaster Coastal/Offshore Theory, so ideally, we would like you to have at least the equivalent of RYA Day Skipper in Sailing experience on a sailing yacht smaller than 24m/72ft and smaller than 200gt, and the equivalent of RYA Yachtmaster Coastal in theory knowledge before allowing you to move on to the practical modules.
Early bookings are essential to prevent disappointment.
- Giving safety briefing
- Improved use of emergency equipment
- Engine checks and advanced trouble shooting
- Improved skippering ability
- Maneuvering under power in confined spaces
- Maneuvering under sail in confined spaces
- Improved sailing and sail trim
- Motoring and sailing up to mooring buoys
- Various berthing situations
- Man-over board recovery techniques
- Distress, safety and seamanship
- Night Sailing/Port entries
- GPS and other electronic aids
- Advanced navigation and Piloting techniques
- Advanced meteorology and weather forecasting
- Greater emphasis on the International Regulations for Preventing Collision at Sea
- Maintenance and repairs
- Planned victualing and feeding at sea
- Passage Planning
- Food Preparation
- Improved efficiency in all practical exercises
- Boat handling in strong tides
- 60 mile passages
All required publications and navigational equipment
60 Mile coastal passages
The complete dedication of an instructor to your success!!
Foul weather gear and boots
Following Day skipper this course advances your skills and confidence as a skipper
Contact us on +27 21 788 1009 or email email@example.com if you would like to join the 18 Week RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Career package or for just this course