This is a course in astro-navigation, worldwide meteorology and ocean currents, which also reveals the mysteries of the sextant. It assumes a knowledge of all subjects covered in all the other shore-based courses ie RYA Day Skipper AND RYA Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore Theory) and is usually run after the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Practical exam.
NOTE! The RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate is required BEFORE you can take your RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Exam.
This course is Instructed personally by our Principal Mr Alex Cousins.
- Week 1 – Monday to Friday in the classroom doing Ocean Theory
- Week 2 – Monday and Tuesday in the classroom doing Ocean Theory
- Week 2 – Wednesday and Thursday on the yacht doing Ocean Sights with a sextant
Fees: All fees included 15% VAT and payable to Yachtmaster Sailing School. Please ask the office for the price structure. *For International transfers, please add an extra R400 for clearance bank fees.
Yachtmaster Ocean Theory Course includes:
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- The PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Measurement of time
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun, star and other sights
- Compass checking
- Satellite Navigation Systems
- Great circle sailing
- Ocean currents
- Passage planning
- Passage making
HOW TO CREATE A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN YACHTING AND TRAVEL THE WORLD
Step into a life filled with greater expansion, opportunity and adventure.